Music Won't Start in Correct Place

Report bugs or glitches here.
baritonium

Music Won't Start in Correct Place

Post by baritonium »

I have EnVision installed both at home on my iMac and at school on my Windows 7 laptop. At home the music playback works great, but on my school laptop it will only work right if I start playback at the beginning of the song/drill. If I move the green slider to start anywhere else, it will start the music somewhere near the beginning of the song, but not anywhere near the point at which it's supposed to play it back. It doesn't matter where in the drill I start; it always plays back the music at some seemingly random point near the beginning of the song (but not at the very beginning).

I've tried clearing the song and re-loading it, and I've tried re-syncing every set on the Windows laptop. Nothing works. I'm running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, and I have the newest version of EnVision installed (1.8.02).
William

Re: Music Won't Start in Correct Place

Post by William »

Hi baritonium,

Thank you for the detailed report, I'm sorry that you are having trouble.

You've also sent an email to contact@box5software.com with some additional information that is actually key to this issue. I've responded to you there but I will also post my response here so that everyone can benefit if the come across the same problem.

Unfortunately this is a known issue, but the solution is pretty straight forward. As you noted (in your email) it has to do with the higher bitrate encoding in MP3s. You mentioned there that your music was encoded at 220 kbps. For whatever reason once you get above around 160 kbps then some systems don't decode it properly. Specifically the timestamps when jumping to a particular location such as what you do when starting in the middle of the music.

The solution is to simply use a lower bitrate or unencoded music. WAV files seem to work fine (though they are a bit cumbersome to work with) and mp3s around 128 kbps or lower also seem to work fine.

I hope this helps you and others in the future.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com