Keyboard shortcut suggestions

Suggest a new features or improvements that you want to see in future versions.
bradporeda

Keyboard shortcut suggestions

Post by bradporeda »

(I'm on a Mac, so CMD= pc's ALT)
Suggested future-version keyboard shortcuts:
- a quick way to move to and from sets/subsets (e.g. CMD-] or CMD-[, or CMD-arrow keys)
- a quick way to move selected performers along the grid: Arrow Keys (rather than dragging them, which requires visual counting)
(eg. select some players, press down-arrow 8 times. Bam! player has moved 8 steps)
- a quick way to shift upper and lower body directions: CMD-NUMKEYPAD, SHIFT-CMD-NUMKEYPAD
- a quick way to evenly space intervals on selected players: CMD-I
- a quick way to straighten a line of players: CMD-L
(this is great when one's been moving players around manually and need to quickly clean up a line)
(I like to set the endpoint players, then select everyone who's in that line. CMD-L. Bam! Instant line)

Programming/embedding these functions within appropriate menus is all that's needed. A user could then assign their own keyboard shortcut to it.

In general, keeping hands on the keyboard is much faster than most mousing actions.

Thanks,
-Brad
box5Nick

Re: Keyboard shortcut suggestions

Post by box5Nick »

These are all great Brad thanks!

Many of these are already on the radar and there are a few others we have on the to do list such as...

- Revert selected performers 1 set
- Convert line to curve (and back)
- Rotate selected players 90 degrees

If anyone else wants to chime in you're more than welcome! We'll get a master wish list going.
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

bradporeda wrote:(I'm on a Mac, so CMD= pc's ALT)
Suggested future-version keyboard shortcuts:
- a quick way to move to and from sets/subsets (e.g. CMD-] or CMD-[, or CMD-arrow keys)
- a quick way to move selected performers along the grid: Arrow Keys (rather than dragging them, which requires visual counting)
(eg. select some players, press down-arrow 8 times. Bam! player has moved 8 steps)
- a quick way to shift upper and lower body directions: CMD-NUMKEYPAD, SHIFT-CMD-NUMKEYPAD
- a quick way to evenly space intervals on selected players: CMD-I
- a quick way to straighten a line of players: CMD-L
(this is great when one's been moving players around manually and need to quickly clean up a line)
(I like to set the endpoint players, then select everyone who's in that line. CMD-L. Bam! Instant line)
I second all of these ideas, although I'm not using any of the facings/body movement capabilities. But the other 4 ideas, I would use on a regular basis, and I'm sure these features and keyboard shortcuts would make the drill writing process faster.
William

Post by William »

Thanks for the input bjindrich. If multiple users request a feature it definitely helps it get pushed to the top of the suggestion list.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
William

Post by William »

You'll be happy to know that a few of these have been implemented for EnVision v1.7.16 which has just been released.
  • Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] for changing sets
  • Moving performers with arrow keys
See the full list of changes in the change log.

William
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

William wrote:You'll be happy to know that a few of these have been implemented for EnVision v1.7.16 which has just been released.
  • Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] for changing sets
  • Moving performers with arrow keys
See the full list of changes in the change log.

William
These are great additions!
bjindrich

Post by bjindrich »

Enhancement request: When in Form mode, allow the allow keys to also move the selected forms in 1-step increments.
William

Post by William »

Will do. Forms will be movable via keyboard in the next release.

William
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software