6/8 Time Signature

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
kbrady0459

6/8 Time Signature

Post by kbrady0459 »

I just got the program, and so far it is great. My issue is writing a show in 6/8 time. Is there an easy way to adjust the marching to match the time signature? Is it the 3 on 2? Once selected do I have to then go set to set to adjust the counts to 6 instead of 8? I designed my sets to go with the music under the sync music function. They seems to have set themselves up based in 4/4 time as most of the sets are divisible by 8.
William

Re: 6/8 Time Signature

Post by William »

Hi kbrady0459,

I'm not 100% sure what you are looking for so I will give you some information and you can let me know if it answers your question or not.

Firstly the number of counts in a set is completely determined by the user. EnVision doesn't do any guessing about the number of counts in a set; when adding sets it defaults to 8 counts and then it adds sets with the same number of counts as the last set when adding sets, so you will have to change the number of counts for every set manually. You can do this through the Set Properties tool which is in the toolbar and the Drill menu. We recommend setting the counts to whatever the main tempo of the song is, not the tempo that you want the performers to march to, if it is different than the main tempo. Basically that means that if you want your members to march at half time, don't cut the number of counts in half, just use the Step Timing in the Performance Detail tool.

Secondly, there is no way to do mixed-tempo marching in EnVision, for example marching 2 slow counts followed by 3 fast counts in a repeating pattern. EnVision only allows straight temp marching. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for but I thought I would make it clear.

So depending on how you are counting tempo, you may want to have 6 or 3 counts per bar. So a set that is 4 bars would have either 24 or 12 counts in it. If you are counting in 6/8 but you want them to march in 3/4 then you can use the Step Timing in Performance Detail tool and set it to Half Time.

I hope that was helpful, please let me know if I can clarify on any point.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
kbrady0459

Post by kbrady0459 »

I followed your suggestions, but the feet are still not matching up. I need the steps to move one per count. 123456 123456. 123 happens on beat one and 456 on beat two. My concern is that the feet lag or rush and that the marchers are confused with the dot sheets, because the counts are not lining up with measures.

I just want to know if it's even possible to set it to 6/8 time.

Thank you.
Kevin
William

Post by William »

Hi Kevin,

Yes it should definitely be possible to do what you are asking. If you are still having trouble after this then I'd like you to email your drill and music to me at contact@box5software.com so I can have a look at it directly.

Lets just take a simple example where 1 set has only 1 bar in it. So if you are counting the 8th notes then your set will have 6 beats in it. This is what you should set in the Set Properties tool. If you set it up this way then everything should work for you; you will have the performers marching at 6 beats per bar. In this situation you do not need to mess around with the step timing.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com