Props and Canvas

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
jphipps

Props and Canvas

Post by jphipps »

I see lots of examples online, in videos and such, of custom props and/or custom canvases being used but I can't seem to figure out how. I have a .jpg image that will ultimately be a tarp on a portion of the field, how do I import that and have the ability to place it and resize it as I need to in order to replicate how it will be on the field?

Second, other than the 3D prop option I don't see how to design a custom sized or shaped backdrop to place on the field. I tried to upload a .jpg using the image map and the program crashed actually. Do I have to create them in a certain format and import them? And what function in EnVision enables me to do that?
William

Re: Props and Canvas

Post by William »

Hi jphipps,

Canvases and props have very different approaches to customization so I will break down each one for you.

Canvases:
1. Open the Canvas Editor. It is the 6th tool from the right in the toolbar or in the Design menu.
2. You can change the size, shape and many other attributes of the canvas here, including images.
3. Find the "Image Map" section near the top and press the "Load" button then choose your image. jpgs should be fine as well as many other image types.
4. Note: You can save and load your custom canvases once they are created using the "Load Custom Canvas" and "Save Custom Canvas" options in the Canvas Editor tool. However you cannot load jpg images through this option.

Props:
1. Open the Prop tool from the toolbar or the Design menu.
2. Create a new prop using the "New" button at the top of the tool.
3. Backdrop/panel props are the most common type which are created with the "Rectangle" Prop Type, which is selected near the top of the tool. This should be the default value.
4. In the Edit section you can change several attributes of the prop including dimensions and the images. Add an image using the Load button after the "Front Image" label.
5. Also have a look at the "Cutout" Prop Type. If you use an image with transparency (alpha values) then it will cutout just the visible section so you can have shaped props, though they are still 2D.

If you are going to have just a portion of the field be covered with a tarp then your best option is to use a Rectangle Prop and put your tarp image on the top portion, then make your prop very flat so it goes underneath your performers.

If you have issues with any of the above please contact us again so we can try to get it fixed.

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com
winterguarddesigns

Post by winterguarddesigns »

Are there any 3D dome props and circular props and half-circle props available?
William

Post by William »

Hi winterguarddesigns,

There are currently no domes or other 3D shapes available in EnVision, except for the Front Ensemble equipment. If you are just looking for a semi-circle or some other 2D shape that isn't a rectangle, try using the Cutout prop type, and use an image with an Alpha channel (transparency).

Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
jakeeuler

Post by jakeeuler »

Hi again-
I'd love the ability to import 3D objects as props, or to have more variety in the built-in library. Is this a feature that's on the horizon?
William

Post by William »

Hi jakeeuler,

It would be great to import standard 3D objects as props but unfortunately the file format that we use is non-standard (Cal3D https://mp3butcher.github.io/Cal3D/) and an exporter is not readily available. We are considering supporting other 3D model types but this feature is not in the immediate roadmap.

The models themselves are text files so if you are so inclined you can open them and see examples of the format and attempt to extract your own exporter. Putting new 3D models in that directory should get picked up automatically.

Regards,
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software