Unsyncing Music??

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
marktimefour

Unsyncing Music??

Post by marktimefour »

Hello all!
New to Envision and learning the ins and outs. Just wrote the first 5 sets and practicing syncing music. I noticed that in the set properties, the Tempo parameter becomes locked (can't change it). It seems that you can't go back to adjusting tempo's after the syncing process takes that process over. I'm sure it's a minor detail but I would love to maintain control of the set parameters even after syncing music.

Looking for help on this topic from anyone who has dealt with similar problems. It leaves me with the idea that I won't ever sync music and to maintain control of the set properties information.

Thanks in advance for your help!
William

Re: Unsyncing Music??

Post by William »

Hi marktimefour,

I saw your email through howtowritedrill.com and I replied to you there, but I think it would benefit everyone to have the same answer shown here so here we go.

Let me lead off by saying that there are a couple of fairly easy work arounds which I will explain a bit further down.

Locking the tempo after syncing music was a conscious design decision when it was implemented. Since that time we have come to realize that it doesn't have to be that way and we do plan to open it up again. The reasoning is that once you have synced your music, changing the tempo could throw off the entire alignment for the remaining sets.

As mentioned above there are a couple easy workarounds. The first one is to just resync again. EnVision has very powerful music sync features that allow you to start syncing at any part of the music. You just have to drag the position marker to the location where you want to start syncing and start there. As the music plays it will erase existing set times (not the sets themselves) and you can replace them just by hitting space bar like you did originally.

The second one possibly gives you a bit more control and I find I end up tweaking my sets this way every once in awhile. You can edit the set times manually in the timeline without changing the number of counts. This is effectively the same as changing the tempo; though not quite as precise. You can do this by unlocking the timeline with the lock button, top right corner of the timeline control area; it looks like a lock. Once you do that you can click and drag the sets against the music, which changes their location in the soundtrack. Notice the button 2 to the left of the lock button: "Adjust all Following Sets". This means that all following sets will move with the current one selected. This is good for adding or removing chunks of music because you can adjust all sets to account for the new chunk. If you turn it off then you will be affecting the tempo of the set before and after the one you are moving. Words can't do this justice, so you will have to play around with it a bit to really understand how it is working.

You alluded to changing the tempo of subsets. Unfortunately you can't do that at this time: subsets always have the same tempo as their parent set. If you want to change the tempo you will have to turn it into a full set, which you can do through the Drill menu.

I hope that helps. Have a great day!
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com