Tempo

Report bugs or glitches here.
jmbryant44

Tempo

Post by jmbryant44 »

When I sync the music on the timeline, my tempos in the set properties panel are never right. I try to fix it by clicking on the tempo to change it, but it won't let me change anything. The only thing that seems to effect the tempo is changing the number of counts per set. Ex: My music file is at quarter note=140. When I sync the music and then play the music with drill I've written, the performer's feet may be moving at quarter note=78 or 240. There seems to be no pattern. Every time I sync the music, it seems to be different.
William

Re: Tempo

Post by William »

Hi jmbryant44,

The behaviour you are describing seems a little odd but I'm having trouble deciding if it's wrong or not. First of all, can you tell me what operating system you are using? That might be playing a role in this.

Let me start with the obvious stuff.

When you sync music the tempo is calculated automatically so editing it manually is disabled. This is done on purpose. The tempo that shows up in the display will generally not be exactly the tempo of your music as slight variations in your timing when you are syncing will cause small discrepancies. In general, as long as the feet look like they are in time then you shouldn't have to worry about the exact tempo.

When you change the number of counts in a set the tempo will change accordingly. For example, if you have a set with 8 counts and tempo 200bpm then cutting the number of counts to 4 will change the tempo to 100bpm.

The proper method to use syncing is to press space bar on count 1 of every set and make sure that every set has the right number of counts. If you want to use a different tempo in the feet while maintaining the real tempo of the song then you can use the Step Timing functionality in the Performance Details Tool.

If you are following the directions above and you are still experiencing these issues then there may be a bug in the program that will have to be looked at.

One last note: The displayed tempo is for the current set you are on. For example, if you are on set 2 then the tempo that is displayed reflects the tempo for the counts between set 2 and set 3.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you are still having trouble.
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com