Adding Images to Props

This room is designated for designers of all skills and backgrounds to share information, tips, ideas and concepts with each other.
JRVidalDesign

Adding Images to Props

Post by JRVidalDesign »

I'm adding images to props for the firs time. I created 9 cube props. I photoshopped the images I wanted on each side and on the top. I want them to look like presents. I loaded the images, as well as, a picture on the field to look like the tarps we are using. 9 cubes, 5 sides to each cube and a field canvas. 46 images I had to upload and it looked great. I opened the file a few days later to continue designing the show and was prompted that it couldn't find the images and I pretty much had to map all 46 images back to the props. It seems that it went looking for the images in the Envision>props folder, but this is not where the images are saved.

Am I going to have to load up all 46 images every time I open Envision to work?
William

Re: Adding Images to Props

Post by William »

Hi JRVidalDesign,

What you are experiencing shouldn't be happening. I have done several tests on my own machines and the prop images load no matter where they were loaded from. There are some scenarios that might lead to what you are seeing that revolve around the location of the images changing. For example if you have the images on an external drive and the letter of that drive changes then EnVision won't be able to find those images. Also, if you share the .drl file with another user without using the Export feature then it will point to locations for the images that might not exist on the other computer.

If EnVision can't find the images where the saved file tells it to look then it tries to find them again in the Documents/EnVision/Props directory, which it seems like you are seeing. This is the default directory for prop related items. You can easily solve your problem by putting the images in the Props directory, then EnVision will always be able to find them.

All this is assuming you are running the latest version of EnVision which is version 1.7.16. Older versions may not have all the same redundancy features.

Lastly, I'm not sure what your use case is but you should have a look at the save, load, duplicate, and replace features of the Prop Editor Tool (at the bottom). You can save a form with all its images independently of the drill so you can load it in another drill if you want to. You can also make copies of a prop and use it multiple times. Replace allows you to replace the currently selected prop with one that you load. It seems like with 9 similar props you might benefit from being able to copy them.

Have a great day!

William
William Lee
-----------------
CEO
Box5 Software
https://box5software.com